Get Started with Lake Tahoe College Promise
First-time college students who attend Lake Tahoe Community College full time pay NO tuition for up to 3 years! This Promise is for scholars who wish to complete their Associate degree and/or transfer to another college or university within two years, or three if needed for additional coursework and support. The Lake Tahoe College Promise program provides eligible students with the opportunity to combine full-time college attendance with employment and other responsibilities by providing extensive one-on-one support and mentoring, a dedicated academic advisor, peer mentoring, and much more!
Whether you're 18 or 68, if you are a first-time college student and a California resident or AB540 eligible, or a Nevada resident or Dreamer living within the Tahoe Basin, you may qualify! NOW is the time to pursue your goal of furthering your education and entering a career you've dreamed about.
- Free tuition for up to three academic years full time or completion of stated educational goal, whichever comes first
- $100 per quarter for use with the LTCC Bookstore
- Priority access to the free Textbook Lending Library
- Unlimited free bus pass
- Two-year degree completion incentive
- Receive counseling on goal completion, navigating developmental coursework, identifying financial assistance, and college success strategies
- Counseling and support around interpersonal and emotional concerns
- Create a student Educational Plan toward attainment of an Associate degree
- Explore and identify university transfer requirements and goals
- Complete educational benchmarks each quarter to ensure you achieve your professional goals
- Students are encouraged to enroll in special general education classes reserved for Promise Students, so they can take courses together and build out engaged communities focused on learning
- Receive priority registration
- Receive additional tutoring and academic course assistance
- Access to a Peer Mentor
"As a Nevada resident, paying out-of-state tuition for college was impossible for me. But the Promise program at LTCC makes it possible for any new college student in the Tahoe Basin to get a free education. Not only did I not have to pay for classes, but Promise helped me with free textbooks and school supplies as well. I’m getting my associate degree at no cost, and that motivates me to do the best I can academically"
You'll begin the online application process by creating an OpenCCC account.
During this process you'll be asked for your intended major and an educational goal, along with some basic personal, educational, and residency information. If you are uncertain about choosing a major or educational goal, connect with a Student Ambassador via text, give us a call (530) 541-4660 x 726.
After applying, you'll receive your Student ID number via email
- DACA recipients and DREAMERs in California and Nevada can contact America Financial Aid or the Equity Office for assistance filling out financial aid forms or help with any other questions
Students are admitted to the Lake Tahoe College Promise Program on a rolling basis. You will receive an email within a month of submitting your application regarding your application.
|Promise Application Submitted Before||Expect Status Update By:|
|April 15||April 26|
|May 18||June 5|
|June 1||June 14|
|August 1||August 10|
|September 1||Before September 11|
Participants in the Lake Tahoe College Promise must agree to:
- Enroll full-time (15 units highly recommended, 12 units required) during the academic year for the duration of the program (Fall, Winter, Spring, optional Summer)
- Students are highly encouraged to complete 45 units per academic year, 36 units required
- Maintain academic progress and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Complete courses at a rate above 67% (This is consistent with Federal Pell Grant requirements)
- Submit an academic progress report each term
- Declare a major within their first year at Lake Tahoe Community College
- Complete a comprehensive Educational Plan their first year at Lake Tahoe Community College
- Regularly meet with your dedicated Promise Counselor
- Regularly participate in required Lake Tahoe College Promise workshops, tutoring, and activities, as assigned